Don King Congratulates Miguel Acosta On Victory; Venezuelan Becomes WBA Lightweight Champion

Don King Congratulates Miguel Acosta On Victory; Venezuelan Becomes WBA Lightweight Champion

Promoter Notes That His Contract with Acosta Remains In Force

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla.—Boxing promoter Don King was ecstatic after learning on Saturday of Miguel Acosta’s win over previously undefeated World Boxing Association lightweight champion Paulus Moses (25-1, 17 KOs) in Moses’ home country of Namibia.

Acosta (27-9-2, 21 KOs), from Caracas, Venezuela, came in as the underdog WBA interim champion and scored a sixth-round knockout to leave as the outright WBA lightweight champion.

King said WBA President Gilberto Mendoza Sr. once had advised him that Acosta had the skills to become a world champion boxer.  His son, WBA Executive Vice President Gilberto Mendoza Jr., joined in the chorus.

“Gilberto senior told me years ago what a great fighter Miguel Acosta was becoming and how great he could be,” King said.  “He also noted that Miguel came from a fine family and that his father, Oscar, was an honorable man.  Both Mendozas assured me this family would stand behind me no matter what others may say.

“I’m so proud of Miguel and I can’t wait to work with him, his father and President Gilberto to further this tremendous young world champion’s career. The sky is the limit for Miguel Acosta.”

King also noted press reports after the fight indicating Acosta’s father had said he believed his son was now a promotional free agent.

“I don’t know who might be telling Oscar that his son’s contract with me has expired, but that is not the case.  In fact, my contract with Miguel extends well into 2012.”

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.