Life as boxer is not easy, specially for a foreign-born fighter trying to make the big time in the Unted States.
This rule has not been the exception for Milorac “Hammer Hands” Zizic, a Montenegro born fighter that is now trying to break through in the American boxing scene.
He came to the States with pretty strong credentials.
After about a 40 fight amateur career where he became the Amateur Champion of Serbia and Montenegro Zizic made his professional boxing debut on May 20, 2011 when he beat Croatian boxer Renato Gogosevic in Belgrade.
In 2012 he became the IBF World Junior Champion.
In 2013 he won the Middle Weight Mediterranean title, recognized by the World Boxing Council.
But, Montenegro is not the boxing capital of the world by far. Both Serbia and Montenegro became independent from Yugoslavia in 2006. Montenegro has a little over half million population, and limited boxing action.
It was then that he decided to leave his native land, and embark on a journey with the goal of becoming a World Champion. The first for his country. He came to the United States in October, 2013 and could not land a fight until December, 2014 when he beat Dennis Sharp in Salem, North Carolina.
In between, had had plenty of time to train and sharpen his skills, first in the Maweweather Gym where he trained with quality opposition, under the eye of the Mayweather boxing family and later, under the personal supervision and instruction of future Hall of Fame member, Roy Jones Jr. who signed Zizic to a promotional contract, becoming part of a selected stable that currently includes Zizic, Eric “Babyface” Johnson, Welterweight Demond “Body Shot” Brock and Super Bantamweight Joseph “King Kong”Agbeko who is now on the road to regain his World Championship title.
Along with his boxing skills, Zizic is also now proficient in the English Language:
“As I have said many times, Boxing has been in my family since I was born, my father was one of the best Montenegrin boxers of all times. He is my idol. I started boxing since age 8 and my parents did not wanted me to stay in boxing. They knew how hard boxing was and what you have to go through to succeed”, said Zizic.
“When I became the amateur champion of Serbia and Montenegro, my dream became to turn professional, At the end of 2013 I decide to leave Montenegro and move to Las Vegas. I have a beautiful family and they supports me in my new dream or my goal which is to become Champion of the World.
Zizic is currently 11-0, with 5 nocauts.
Even under the wing of Roy Jones jr; getting in the ring has not being easy. Three scheduled fights during 2014 fell through, but for now, the path seems to be clearing for Zizic.
He will be facing Louis Rose from Los Angeles on March 13th, at the We Ko Pa Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona. They will be fighting for the vacant NABF Middleweight Championship.
In the Main Event, Bronco Billy Wright will defended several belts, including WBC Latin America, Fecarbos and USNBC titles against Brazilian, Gilberto Matheus “Mago” Domingos in the Heavyweight division.
At age 28, Zizic is in a hurry and wants to keep active until he reaches his goal of a major title fight. He has the support of his country and the promise of assistance in setting up a Championship fight in Montenegro.
“I have fought at home and it is great. A Championship for myself, and for Montenegro would be a historic event with huge excitement and expectations,” he said. “Without doubt it would put the country on the world boxing map.”
So far only two fighters – Mate Parlov (Yugoslavian and Croatian) in 1978 and Jan Zaveck (Slovenia) 2009 from the old Yugoslavia have held world titles.
Another countryman, Predrag Radosevic has reached the middleweight IBF international Title. Howeverl Radosevic has decided to make his career in Europe.
“I came to the United States to find better competition for training and for fighting. In the time I have been in the United States, I had fierce sparring and I’ve done all that was needed with my coaches Roy Jones Jr. and Angel Santana. I have even sparred with Jones and it was after that, that they decided to put their money behind me. All in all I am very satisfied, I do not want many meaningless victories and a knockouts, because it’s not my style. I promise that I will only give my best and I will represent my family with dignity and Montenegro, “concluded Zizic.
According to Zizic, along with the fight in Scottsdale, Arizona, the contract with Jones Jr. includes six matches one of which will be for a WBC version on a title. It is now up to him to determine which title, based on his performances in the year 2015.
For additional information please visit http://royjonesjrboxing.com/. For regular updates on our fighters, events, and promotions, please check the Facebook page,Roy Jones Jr. Boxing. To follow the conversation on social media,please use hash tags #RoyJonesJr.#Zizic